Educational Programming at the Highlands Museum
The Highlands Museum & Discovery Center offers a variety of educational experiences designed to reach students of all ages. Here at the museum we believe that learning is a life-long process. Our educational experiences are aimed at multi-generational audiences. From historical exhibits to the Discovery Center and workshops, there are learning opportunities for everyone to experience.
The Highlands Museum & Discovery center preserves and exhibits over 11,000 historical artifacts. It is also home to an interactive children’s Discovery Center and a newly opened Space Science Hall. There is a lot to see and do at the Highlands. The museum offers three types of tours to help students get the most out of their experience:
- Self-Guided-Museum staff will provide a short introduction. The group then conducts their own tour of all areas of the museum.
- Semi-Guided-Groups are taken to each of the three floors of the museum and given a brief synopsis before being released to explore that individual floor on their own.
- Fully-Guided- Groups will be given an in-depth tour of exhibits on the all three floors of the museum.
The Highlands Museum & Discovery Center offers educational workshops to enhance students’ experience. The cost of a workshop is $5.00 per student / attendee, this is the admission fee that includes the museum tour.
- School Daze – Grades 2-6- Experience “School Daze”, one of the museum’s most popular exhibits, in a whole new way. Students will get to experience a school life during the era of the one room schoolhouse.
- Magnificent Monarchs – Grades K-2 –What makes the Monarch the king of all the butterflies? Students will learn about the Magnificent Monarch, from its transformation from caterpillar to butterfly and its migration across a continent.
- Slime Time–Grades-5-8-Is it solid or is it a liquid? Students will learn the basics of slime chemistry as they get to make a cup of slime that is semi-solid and even glows in our Star Chamber.
- Mr. Potato Head’s Five Sense- Grades K-2 – Join us for an interactive and in-depth look at our five senses while students build their own Mr. Potato Head.
- Color Wonders – Grades K-8– Let’s make some predictions and record our results as we use colors to explore different scientific ideas.
- The Scoop on Ice Cream – Grades K-8- How do you make ice cream? Come find out with us and then make your own frozen treat to enjoy!
- Creatures of the Night–Grades 1-5– This workshop discusses the geological wonders known as caves. Students will also learn about the #1 inhibitors of caves – bats. They will then make a craft featuring bats in their cave habitat.
Scheduling a Field Trip
We hope you will consider the Highlands Museum & Discovery Center for your school’s or organization’s next field trip. The cost will be $3.50 per student/attendee. Teachers and staff members are free. Any parents/guardians accompanying your group will receive a discounted admission rate of $3.50. Lunch space is available for your group if needed. Please select the tour appropriate for your group or call for more information on what would suit your group’s needs for the best museum experience.
For more information or to book your visit contact Donetta Trimble, Education Director at email@example.com or call 606-329-8888.
Preschool Story-Time for Children (Cancelled until summer)
Join us for children’s books, crafts and activities for museum fun! No additional charge, cost included with admission or museum membership. Holiday themed activities for preschoolers are being planned. Wednesday’s 1:00pm – 2:00pm in the Discovery Center.